Applications for conference volunteers are now open! Scroll to the bottom of this page to apply.
Are you interested in helping inspire and empower middle school girls to pursue science and math careers? We could use your help! We are looking for volunteers to help out at the 6th Expanding Your Horizons – Chicago conference on Saturday, March 24th at the University of Chicago. This is an exciting event for both the girls and volunteers, and we hope you will help us make this year’s conference a success!
We will need volunteers from approximately 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (not all volunteer shifts will last all day). There will be breakfast, lunch, and a reception with food and refreshments for volunteers at the end of the day. Volunteers will be expected to attend a mandatory orientation session a couple weeks before the conference at the University of Chicago. The dates for training this year are March 10, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. or March 14, 2018 at 06:30 p.m. We will recruit approximately 120 volunteers to help the conference run smoothly. Are you interested? Do you know somebody who might be interested? A list of needed volunteer positions and the application are below. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Morning Setup & Girls Registration: Assist with registration area setup prior to event start (Setup registration tables, Organize Girls’ name tags + folders, Direct students from the street/quad towards the registration area)
- Volunteer Registration: Assist with volunteer registration booth, area setup, volunteer T-shirts, Prepare breakfast room
- Group Leaders (buddies): Oversee every movement of your assigned group, Ensure your group of girls are attending the correct workshops, provide directions and lead path when navigating from one location to another, talk to the girls about your interest and path in STEM and where their interests lie
- Lunch: Assist lunch leaders in successful execution of lunch for Girls and workshop leaders. Assist with lunch setup, seating area setup, food replenishment, trash counter setup, Line-Up Girls for photo booth pictures, Lead the clean-up activity, post lunch, Time Watch – Ensure Girls are wrapping up in time and prepared to move to the next workshop
- Parent Program: Setup Parents Program registration desk, Organize room for panel discussion, Ensure Panelists are attended to
- Workshop: Assist workshop leaders in successful execution of workshop activities, Report to assigned workshop room, Introduce yourself to the workshop leader before the day of the event
- Social Media: Take pictures and videos of the girls enjoying the workshops, lunch, and keynote talks; take pictures of parents enjoying the parent program – briefly describe what’s happening in the post, Share opinions on why it’s important to get more women into science, Share opinions about how EYH is helping to achieve this